Put a “love” twist on our popular insect wiggle bot and build your own movable robotic love bug with simple materials from the Dollar Store.
STEAM represents the combination of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math. Integrating STEAM based play is an easy and innovative way to enrich your preschooler’s learning.
This post uses affiliate links. Thank you for your support of Preschool STEAM.
STEAM Challenge: Can you design and make a wiggle bot love bug?
Objective: Create and design your own robotic love bug.
- Pool Noodle
- Electric Toothbrush (may be found at the Dollar Store)
- Art materials (Tape, Googly Eyes, Pipe cleaners, Ribbon)
- Paper Hearts and Heart Stickers
Adult Prep: Cut pool noodle the length of the toothbrush and then insert it into the center of the pool noodle.
Use art materials to transform the pool noodle into a love bug!
First, we covered our love bug in decorative tape.
Next, we added bug features with pipe cleaners, ribbon, beads, and permanent markers.
And don’t forget the googley eyes!
Next, test your wiggle love bug bot. Does it move?
- What can you do to make your wiggle bot love bug move faster or slower?
- What unique features do different bugs have?
- What unique features does your love bug have?
Science: Go outside and observe what bugs you see in their natural habitat.
Technology: Use an electric toothbrush to motor your wiggle bot.
Engineering/Art: Design and build your bug.
Math: Measure the distance your wiggle bot can travel.