Use materials you have to fill a tub, box or bag and let your students build their own lucky creations or try to capture a leprechaun with a St. Patrick’s Day Tinker Tub!
Preschool STEAM Tinker Tubs
Tinker tubs make it easy to start encouraging students to persevere with open-ended play and exploration.
What is a Tinker Tub?
A tinker tub is a container with provided materials that encourage children to build, create and design.
Tinker tubs give students the opportunity to learn:
- how to persevere
- how to learn from failure and still try again
- how to re-evaluate, redesign and re-think a problem to create a unique and inventive solution.
How to Get Started with Tinker Tubs:
Step 1: Choose your tub (or box, or bin)
The best thing is you can use boxes, bins, tubs, even a plastic bag or shoebox works.
Step 2: Choose your building materials
Building Materials Ideas:
- Small green objects like bottle caps
- Green blocks
- Green and gold pipe cleaners
- Rainbow colored pipe cleaners
- Green Pom Poms
- Gold coins
- Plastic black pot (or cauldrons)
- Green gems
- Shredded green paper
- Craft sticks
- Green plastic cups
Step 3: Let your students tinker.
Challenge cards may be added as a creative prompt to challenge deeper thinking.
Get the free St. Patrick’s Day Tinker Tub Guide! Plus a FREE set of Challenge Cards!
Find more tinker tub inspiration here: